As Michael Baker International’s founding month comes to a close, we are shining a spotlight on those in our Wolf Pack who are Making a Difference in our communities. Across the country and around the world, our employees are dedicated to giving back with their time, talents and financial support to support those in need.
A tradition of service is engrained in our culture, and we are unified in working toward a common goal, which is evident in the many ways our offices give back to our communities, both at home and abroad. Here are just a few examples from the past year:
Bridges to Prosperity
Since 2016, Michael Baker has partnered with the nonprofit Bridges to Prosperity to construct footbridges in remote, underdeveloped areas of the world to improve access to vital resources. In March-April 2022, a team of Michael Baker colleagues traveled to Rwanda, Africa, to build a 223-foot-long suspended footbridge to provide nearly 4,000 community members with safe access to food, education and health care.
- Volunteers from our Atlanta, Georgia, office sponsored a booth at the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) Georgia’s Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. The half-day program introduced elementary and middle school girls to engineering through fun projects and activities.
- Team members from our Santa Ana, California, office volunteered at a student outreach event hosted by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Chapter at California State University, Long Beach. During the fourth annual “ASCE CSULB Dreams Big” event, more than 300 students from schools across Los Angeles and Orange County experienced the world of civil engineering through hands-on workshops, technical demonstrations, lab tours, a professional panel and a screening of ASCE’s “Dream Big: Engineering Our World” documentary.
- Our Baltimore, Maryland, office hosted Brownie Troop 1860 for a little tour and a lot of inspiration. The troop met with members of our Wolf Pack and participated in hands-on activities to learn more about the work we do.
Clean-Up and Beautification Events
- Team members from our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, office partnered with the City of Allentown Parks & Recreation Department for a park clean-up, collecting more than 10 bags of trash from Valania and Fountain Parks.
- Volunteers from our San Diego and Carlsbad, California, offices helped clean up Bonita Cove, Belmont Park, the beach and bay, street medians, gutters and parking lots, collecting approximately 13 five-gallon buckets of trash. These offices also donated more than $1,000 to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of San Diego and participated in a beach cleanup at Ocean Beach.
- Colleagues from our Hamilton and Newark, New Jersey, offices raised $5,500 for a local food bank as part of ACEC New Jersey’s fifth annual Can Sculpture Contest.
- Our Alexandria, Virginia, office participated in its eighth CANstruction event, raising over $2,000 and collecting more than 1,500 cans for the Capital Area Food Bank. CANstruction is a global non-profit charity that creates structures out of full cans of food which is donated to local foodbanks.
- Members of our Great Lakes Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Steering Committee participated in the Out of the Darkness Chicagoland Walk hosted by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP).
- Our Ridgeland, Mississippi, office collected dog beds, toys, treats and $465 in donations as part of an Angel Dog Drive to benefit a local animal rescue.
At Michael Baker International, We Make a Difference is more than a tagline. It’s part of the fabric of our company. We create connections and always prioritize giving back to one another and to our communities.